18 August 2017

Finally found my Precious

I have been saying for years I want to find and use linen denim, and have a nice collection of linen twill (mostly suiting) fabrics in ye olde fabric stash ... but I have finally found actual linen (blended with cotton) denim!  And in all places, Fabric Mart.  The down side of this is, they may not get any more in for a decade or so.  The good news is, it's at a Fabric Mart price.  They're what's called a jobber, in that they buy leftover fabrics from manufacturers and other retailers and sell them quite low.  This is under the Sales section, in their "Precut Buyout"subsection, so when they sell out they are truly out.  For the record, since they are selling it in 2.5 yard pieces, and I need 2.75 yards to make a pair of jeans, I bought two pieces.  I got the shipping email yesterday.
linen/cotton denim
photo used with permission

linen/cotton denim
photo used with permission
I emailed Fabric Mart yesterday asking permission to use their photos of this fabric because they are SO much better at photography than I'll probably ever be, and this morning Julie emailed me permission to use, with a note that I should stress this is a buyout fabric and when it's gone then it is totally gone.  I promised a link to the page, if anyone wants to get their own 2.5 yard piece of linen/cotton denim (if you don't see that fabric anymore, then they are sold out).

I am really stoked about finally finding this.  Even if it's a lighter weight than I like to use for jeans, it will still make summer go-to-town jeans.  FabricMart lists it as "Light/Medium; Falls Moderately Away From Body" so I am not expecting 12 oz weight denim here (although that would certainly be nice), but they do recommend using this fabric for pants, jackets and waistcoats (vests) so I am expecting bottomweight at the least.

No comments: