30 October 2016

McCalls 5142 denim work jeans

As promised last post, I have my new work jeans done (in fact, they're due for a wash after today) and now have pics as of this morning.  Keep in mind, I've worn these to town a couple days this week, and wore them last night for evening chores/milking.  I am VERY pleased with the fit and freedom of movement.
front view McCall's 5142 work jeans
in medium blue denim

back view M5142 jeans
with "heartbeat" wave on back pockets

side view of McCalls 5142
work jeans
These are just perfect through the hips, as I can squat down and reach for eggs the hens decide to lay in the far back corner of the tractors without the slightest tightness or binding.  I put belt loops on this pair, even though they don't need them right now as they sit comfortably at my waist without sliding down.

While hubby notices the lack of excess fabric at the bottom of the zipper, the thing Cindy at Tractor Supply was so enthusiastic about is the lack of gap in back.  I showed them off to her earlier this week, and she tugged at the center back belt loop while exclaiming, "No gap!  Wow, what brand are these?"  While she looked suitably impressed when I told her they are "my brand," she looked and sounded a bit disappointed she can't go buy a pair for herself.  Kem, the assistant manager, remarked they look store-bought (except they fit better).

Since I have the fit I want, the next step is to knock out about 3 or 4 more pair - I am already working on another pair in light blue denim, with hot pink topstitching and floral appliques for my going-to-town jeans.  I have white cotton twill with animal print on it for another pair of going-to-town pants, and I have a couple wild plans for embellishment.  I figured since I would making several pair of this pattern, why not enter in the Pattern Review "One Pattern, Many Looks" contest, which is running mid-October to November 15th.  If I have time before the deadline, I just got some nice light tan cotton twill in good bottomweight thickness for another pair of work pants, which would make for two pair of work pants and two going-to-town pants, which ought to hold me through winter.

After I finish up the pantspalooza, then it's on to knit tops and T-shirts for me, as I had to throw out three old T-shirts that are officially disintegrating - including one of my old PT shirts that is at least 15 years old and I could read through it.  I have patterns, and I now have jersey knits.  Fabric leftovers will be turned into panties, which are also on the must-sew-soon list.

No comments: