28 March 2011

It's time for an apron

Yesterday I remarked that after spending about three and a half weeks making my corset (which I am wearing today!) I want my next project to be quick and easy instant gratification.  Rebecca from Wannabe mentioned one of her favorites: an apron, and that had been what I was thinking after an incident last week involving flying popping bacon grease and considerable cussing.  I did the cussing, not the bacon.  The bacon's aim was a little too good ...

So, apron it is!  I have two apron patterns: a pretty Butterick from their costume section (translation: it's an historical pattern), and a McCall's one labelled "home dec" because the pattern set also includes bins and hangers and an ironing board cover:
Maggie made this apron during the stash contest, and said it was pretty easy (minus mystery fabric issues).  Since this is my first try at an apron, I figured I should start off with the easier pattern this time.  LOL  I do have a history of tackling the difficult patterns first ...

And yes, this is more of that Delft print cotton duck I used on my waist corset/back brace back in December, and part of the six-pack of cotton ducks I scored on the Black Friday sale with visions of corsets, jackets, and grocery bags dancing in my mind at the cutting table.  I'm planning to use the solid blue for the straps, ties, pocket, and upper ruffle, with the print for the body and lower ruffle.

Let's see just how quick and easy aprons really are ....

No comments: