I spent yesterday putting on the bias binding after making some up in the denim left over. My fingers are still protesting because I sewed half of each bias binding by hand ... yes, your handsewing-hating blogger is still handsewing! For good reason ... this is the first time I've done bias binding that I don't hate once it's finished. No wrinkles, nothing kinked under, nothing gone wabberjawed ...
I did try to do continuous bias binding, but somehow hosed up sewing the crooked tube and my lines didn't line up, so I ripped that seam out and just did strips. Machts nicht ("mox nix") since each strip did a top or bottom with a little bit left over.
I did attach the bias to the front of the corset halves by machine. While my machine sewing still isn't *all that* it does look straighter than my handsewing, and is quicker to boot. After the first bit of binding, I had the smart idea to trim the corset layers before folding the binding over. This made it both easier and much less messy, as the edges were trying to fray after so much handling.
Now, about that handsewing that my poor fingertips are still complaining about ... do it! When someone who avoids handsewing (when possible) heartily recommends sewing something by hand, there is a darn good reason. The results will speak for themselves, but - especially on corsets - handsewing is worth the time and sore fingers. Apparently, the way I did my binding is the same way quilters do theirs, so if you don't believe me ... go ask a quilter. LOL
I don't have in-progress pics of the binding ... I guess I got a little excited about getting it done before bedtime. This morning I am setting the eyelets, and will *TRY* once again to get clear pictures of this step-by-step as has been requested since the waist corset I made in December. It's almost 10 AM here, and I am still waiting for a bit of sunlight ... it is so grey today I need to turn on the lights even with an east-facing window in the sewing area (that hubby and son still insist on calling "the dining room"). I do have the eyelet tools gathered up and the spacing figured already.
waist tape I put in, then figured out from there with the two eyelets-to-be right next to the waist being a tiny bit closer than the others, as these will be where the "rabbit ears" will be. I have both satin and grossgrain style ribbon that matches the lace ... right now I am leaning towards the satin.
I need to find my FrayCheck, as the lace is trying to fray at the cut edges. Since I don't have buckram in the lacing panel, I'll want to use it around the eyelet holes as well. I just straight up forgot the buckram this time ...